Resume of Failures
1980 As a child I submitted futuristic car designs to auto manufacturers and came up with inventions.
Learning: Thinking big gets rewarded. If I don’t execute on a good idea, someone else will.
1990 Summer job on cruise ship taken away 2 weeks prior
Learning: Trust that things happen for a reason.
1993 College Planning Associates (CPAs) buildout failed
Learning: Importance of clear branding and working with target customers.
1994 Employee workshop to top Gillette employees in English rejected, offered Spanish
Learning: Blue Ocean strategy of developing niche markets. Always show up.
1998 Pitch to John Hancock corporate for a national wealth management platform denied
Learning: Large organizations pivot slowly. Small and nimble is an advantage.
2000 Public seminars in new market proved marginally successful. Partnered w/ CPA firm.
Learning: Power and validation of partnerships
2006 Divorced from wife. Met in college, together 14 years. Led me to dive into my own personal development.
Learning: My personal awareness and wellness will drive my relationship health. Made me much closer to my children.
2010 Had panic attack while giving a public presentation to a potential national partner.
Learning: Humility (helped us get national partnership) and goal setting to overcome helped me get my TEDx speaking opportunity.
Biggest Mistakes Made
- Thought vulnerability was a weakness, not a strength in business and in life.
- Hired too quickly and fired too slowly.
- Focused on too many shiny objects (i.e. bookkeeping company) versus hedgehog approach.
- Trust the red thread. Your tribe will follow it.
- Never forget the power of positivity. Small thoughtful gestures count. Be of service.
- Operate from a place of wonder – everyone can be your teacher. Opportunities are everywhere!