RESUME OF FAILURES
I have founded and co-founded several businesses and they all exist in some form today. However, each has under performed at times due to the failure in my leadership. I choose to view my failures as learning opportunities, so I guess I learn something every day. I live by the motto that if you’re not growing, you’re dying. I have certainly had to shrink in order to grow on more than one occasion.
I have also lived by the adage that there is no problem more sales can’t fix. Of course, sales won’t fix everything, but it has served as a helpful guidepost in my journey. Every startup has been much more difficult than expected and initially less successful than anticipated. Some might have chosen to quit in these trying business situations. Although painful at times, we reallocated resources in order to avoid collapse.
- Unknowingly Loaning Money to a Man on the Verge of Bankruptcy 1992
- Slowness to Pivot and Deploy Resources from Broadcast Division to Security Division 1992 – 1996
- Manufacturer Relations in 1992 – 2002
- Losing Key Personnel to Competitors 1996 -2000
- Inability to Foster Teamwork in Management 1998 – 2000
Any advice for entrepreneurs struggling with failure?
- Power of With: 1 + 1 = 3
- Ditch the Doubters
- Be Yourself
- Weaknesses Waste Time
- Do What You Love
- Throw a party where people love to come…Have Fun!
- Focus on What You Control
- Yes if….anything is possible if you do enough of the little things
- Celebrate Commitment over Talent
If you were to give your 30 year old self advice, what would it be?
- Get a dedicated personal assistant
- Buy Apple Stock